Thursday 18 October 2012

Why I love Morrissey

When I'm asked about Morrissey, the one thing I always say is "I hate my parents because they grew up in the 80s. I would have love to have grown up in the 80s because I could be very much in love with Morrissey without it being creepy.".

Now you may now say that I would not like to have live 30 years ago. Thatcherism had taken over Britain and everyone was depressed because the Tories were cruel, merciless arseholes and didn't give a crap about your everyday working class family but I would answer you with the question, how different is that from today?

"I've been dreaming of a time when the English are sick to death of Labour and Tories, and spit upon the name of Oliver Cromwell and denounce this royal line that still salute him and will salute him forever" - Irish Blood, English Heart.

The thing I love most about Morrissey is that he isn't scared to tell you what he thinks, especially when it come to politics. When it comes to politics, Morrissey hates everything to do with it, having criticized both the Labour and Conservative parties in the past. One of the best things I think he has done politicly has backed Johnny Marr when he forbade David Cameron for liking the Smiths saying, "I would like to, if I may, offer support to Johnny Marr who has spoken out to the media this week against David Cameron. David Cameron hunts and shoots and kills stags – apparently for pleasure. It was not for such people that either Meat Is Murder or The Queen Is Dead were recorded; in fact, they were made as a reaction against such violence.". I agree with Morrissey and have had to remind people that they cannot like the Smiths and vote Tory at the same time because it goes against everything the Smiths stood for.


"Close your eyes and think of someone you physically admire and let me kiss you, let me kiss you" - Let Me Kiss You

Morrissey is obviously a tortured soul when it comes to love. Having never had a partner who has been open to the public and never stated his sexuality, it is easy to understand why people may think he is gay. Although never publicly revealing a relationship, Morrissey writes some of the most beautiful love songs of all time and I get the impression that he has had his heart well and truly broken at some stage in his life to be able to write such works of art. If there is one thing I love about Morrissey it is this: every time I hear his music, my heart really does go out to him. Every song is like a new chapter in a book of his heartbreak whether that is him having a good old moan or having a day were it's unbearable.

Throughout my life, Morrissey has been threaded through in different places. The man didn't just influence my Dad's music taste and political view when he was my age but he is also influencing mine and thousands of other peoples lives 30 years on and will continue to do so for years to come.


0 comments:

Post a Comment