Friday 19 September 2014

On the topic of still being British...

It has drawn to a close. The IndyRef battle has been won and whether or not you agree with the result, the people of Scotland have shown that we are the best nation on Earth. I will be honest, I celebrated today but that does not mean I am anti-independence. In the end I was moved from the "No" camp to the "Maybe" camp by "Yes" voters and my current stance on the matter is "Yes, Scotland could be independent... just not yet.".

If Salmond had waited, thought out a rough plan that wasn't theoretical and not been Alex Salmond, why not, independence would be great but that is just me. Then again, my opinion doesn't matter - I was born in Scotland and my family are Scottish but we had to move just before I started school and despite my passion and my willingness to have my voice heard, it never was and so it is irrelevant. I am only here to offer condolence to those who are disappointed.

My town is a Tory town in rural Leicestershire, the residents have voted Conservative for a century. Our Working Men's Club is now a private school and we are so depleted in terms of left-wing seats that my Dad has considered taking on the role himself for the sake of a fair vote. Talk about not getting who you vote for, it amazes me that my parents even bother. It amazes me that I bother. Yet here I am and I can safely say that even Tories are sick of the Tory government. I had my friend, who is as Conservative as they come, willing to join me on a march against NHS privatisation. I have friends who have had the Daily Mail on their kitchen table their whole lives who are likely to vote Labour or even Green in the next election. Confidence in David Cameron's government is dying out here (in a Tory safe haven) just like Scotland. England is sick and ENGLAND WANTS CHANGE.

A reoccurring theme on today's social media has been "Scotland has lost its bravery". THIS IS NOT THE CASE. If anything, Scotland has just chosen the difficult road. It would be cowardice to simply turn our back on so many who are suffering across the rest of the U.K under the Conservative's iron rule, wipe our hands of our debts and walk away. We have chosen to stay together and Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland CAN bring Westminster to its knees. If Scotland could almost do it on their own, imagine what can be done as a union! Millions upon millions of people all standing up together to fight against Thatcher's legacy. It is Scotland that has started this off, it is Scotland that has given Britain its voice and it is Scotland that will make a change. If that isn't bravery, I do not know what is.

Scotland had its highest voting turn-out in history yesterday. Use that to your strength. Come next May, go to your ballot station and vote for the left. Do everything in your power to make your voices heard because they can no longer be ignored. Farage is terrified, he wants English consolation and why? Because Scotland has stood up to be counted more so than ever and each new voice is a voice against him. It isn't England who are the opponents, it is the right and we already have them on their knees.

Follow me on Twitter!

0 comments:

Post a Comment